We build community through education and culture.
The Biblioteca Pública de San Miguel de Allende AC provides a wide range of educational and cultural activities to foster a harmonious and vibrant community.
With your donation, we will :
- buy new books
- provide free clases and workshops: english and spanish as a foreign language, science club, piano, guitar, dance, choir, art, and much more...
- give scholarships to high school and university students.
Thank you for making it possible!
Education and culture are the keys to the social well-being of any community. Free access to knowledge is an essential ingredient that helps to build bridges within a diverse community.
But for the majority, commitment to an education is an expensive luxury and seemingly impossible to access.
We want to provide sufficient resources to embrace a thirst for knowledge and imagine unlimited possibilities.
We want to create a space where the diverse communities of San Miguel de Allende can collaborate, inspire and support each other in a beautiful and safe environment..
The Biblioteca Pública commits to maintain a safe, inclusive and non-judgmental center, which meets the demands for education, skills training, cultural enrichment and entertainment for our entire community.
The Biblioteca Pública programming is focused in 4 broad areas:
- Our collections of books in Spanish and English total close to 50,000 volumes. Our reading rooms offer comfortable workspaces and book sections in a variety of themes: literature, history, science, art, travels, etc.
- Our children and youth sections welcome children from 0 to 18 years old.
- We offer specialized sections in laws, psychology and medecine for college students.
- The Latin American Studies collection provides information on culture, politics and history of Mexico and Latin America.
- We offer a series of activities to promote the pleasure of reading, such as the “Read with your Baby” sessions, or the “Litterary Creation” classes.
- With your membership, you can check out 4 books for 30 days.
2/ Learning at the Biblioteca
- We promote free expression and creativity thanks to our workshops on artistic practice: music, dance, visual arts, crafts, etc.We improve the skills of citizens with our program of educational workshops: Englsih as a foreign language, Spanish as a foreign language, computer science, etc.
3/ Scholarship Program
- We work to lower the school dropout rate with our scholarship and mentor programs.
- As many as 100 high school and university students are granted scholarships each year based on social and academic criteria.
- In addition to economic support, we provide the students with mentorship during their studies.
4/ Cultural and artistic events
- We provide cultural entertainment in English and Spanish in our dedicated spaces: Conference room Sala Quetzal, Teatro Santa Ana, Main Patio of the Biblioteca
- Circus, Theater, Music, Cinema, Dance, Conferences, etc.
- We host some of the most important festivals in town.
- We have extensive free programing.
We are the oldest NGO in San Miguel, housed in an 18th century building in the Centro Historico. Our building is a historical and cultural landmark in town that has had many uses over the centuries before the Biblioteca occupied the space beginning in 1958. Today, it continues to be the most significant cultural center in town. The Biblioteca Pública has positively impacted the lives of thousands of people. We are proud to see many of our scholars who have successfully integrated into their professional lives, becoming active citizens and leaders in our community.